Taste and health merits of pasta captivated F&B leaders at the special lunch organized by the Italian Trade Agency to celebrate the World Pasta Day in Dubai alongside similar events in Tokyo, London, Berlin, New York, and Paris. World Pasta Day is the prelude to the 7th edition of “Italian Cuisine Week in the World”
Dubai, October 24th – The 24th edition of the World Pasta Day was celebrated in Dubai, one of the world culinary capitals chosen this year to draw attention to the merits and benefits of pasta, its great taste, its healthfulness, and the convenience of its simplicity for people everywhere. Since 1998 the World Pasta Day has been celebrated every year around the globe. The 2022 launching events took place on 24th October simultaneously in Tokyo, London, Berlin, New York, Paris, and Dubai.
Some of the most prominent F&B traders and journalists in the UAE were delighted by 5 innovative pasta recipes conceived by Chef Luca Carbini and updated about latest trends about pasta at the event organized at Capital Club by ITA-Italian Trade Agency in cooperation with Unione Italiana Food (https://www.unioneitalianafood.it/en/) and the Federation of Italian Chefs (https://www.fic.it/).
Italy is the world leader in the production of pasta, with over 3.5 million tons produced per year.
Moreover, Italians also are the greatest fans of pasta in the world with the highest per capita consumption: almost 23 kilos per person yearly.
The healthy and sustainable merits of pasta have been publicly stated for the first time during the World Pasta Day 2015 in the Consensus Statement signed by 29 scientists from 11 countries.
The Statement points out that:
– As a key component of the Mediterranean Diet, pasta helps preventing and slow the progression of major chronic diseases.
– Pasta is satiating and keeps you full longer.
– Past meals and other low-glycemic index foods may help to control blood sugar and weight. In fact, the pasta manufacturing process reduces its glycemic response.
– Pasta is an affordable and healthy choice available in almost all societies around the world.
– Healthy pasta meals are a delicious way to eat more vegetables, legumes and other healthy food, especially for children and adolescents.
– Pasta meals are enjoyed in cultural traditions worldwide: like a canvas they are versatile and easily adaptable to regional and seasonal ingredients.
– Pasta is a simple plant-based food and has a low environmental impact.
– Pasta consumption is suitable for people who do physical exercise as pasta provides carbohydrates and it is also a source of protein. It can be used with light seasoning shortly before and after a performance.
A recent survey realized by UIF-FIC among professional Italian chefs working at the most prestigious restaurants in the named “6 pasta capitals” also confirmed that:
– the consumption of pasta is increasing all around the world, including in the UAE
– among more than 300 kind of pasta, long dry pasta (spaghetti, linguine, bucatini) is preferred by around 50% of interviewed
– the success of pasta is due mainly to the simplicity of its preparation.
Honoring the launching event in Dubai, Lorenzo Fanara, Ambassador of Italy to the U.A.E. said: “Today’s event represents a preview, a teaser, of the many activities planned for the VII Edition of the Week of Italian Cuisine in the World, which will take place from 14th to 20th November. I couldn’t think of a better subject to start with: pasta lies at the core of the Mediterranean diet for which Italy is renowned worldwide. It embodies the values of conviviality, innovation and sustainability that will inspire this year’s theme of the Week of Italian Cuisine”.
Amedeo Scarpa, ITA Director in the U.A.E, added: “In 2021, Italy’s reached a new record in agri-food export value, 52 billion Euros, out of which 300 million Euro towards the U.A.E. Year 2022 seems to be the year of the record: in the 1st semester export to the U.A.E. Increased by 52,5%, more than double compared to the rest of the world (+21%). Regarding About “pasta”, Italy exports almost 3 bln Euro worldwide. The increasing preference of citizens and residents in the UAE for healthy, bio and certified products is already positively impacting on the demand for 100% Made in Italy pasta: +44% in 1st semester 2022 (20 mln euro expected in value by the end of the year). World Pasta Day aims at showing new and alternative ways to enjoy pasta. Pasta is Italy. Italy is Pasta. Buon appetito!”
All pasta lovers can see and share on social media special recipes inspired by the concept of pasta as a global food. By using the hashtag #GlobalPasta and #WorldPastaday the UAE public is invited to interact on the dedicated social account We Love Pasta on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
The World Pasta Day is a prelude to the 7th edition of The Italian Cuisine Week in the World that will delight Italian food lovers across the globe soon (14th to 18th November) Stay tuned!
Follow us on twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram: @ITADUBAI