Dubai’s public transport network continues to attract high passenger numbers despite the challenges triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), nearly 346 million people used public transport means in 2020, clocking a daily average of 947,000 riders.
The figures are for the metro, tram, buses and marine transport (abra, ferry, water taxi and water bus), in addition to e-hail rides, smart rental vehicles and taxis.
- Dubai Metro served 113.63 million riders last year (74.45 million for the Red Line and 39.172 million for the Green Line)
- Dubai Tram served 3.65 million riders, public buses carried 95.41 million passengers and marine transit means ferried 8.05 million riders
- Shared transport means, such as e-hail and smart rental vehicles lifted catered to 15.29 million people, while taxis (Dubai Taxi and Franchise companies) served 109.94 million passengers
“RTA implemented top international practices in tackling COVID-19 to nurture a safe and healthy environment for riders and staff of mass transit means,” said Mattar Mohammed Al Tayer, Director-General, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of the RTA.
“Measures taken were based on three pillars, the first is to ensure the safety of all employees through fostering a sound and safe working environment. The second is to ensure RTA’s facilities and public transit means are free from COVID-19 hazards to ensure the continuity of services in the Emirate. The third is to continue supporting Dubai Government efforts in fighting the pandemic,” explained Al Tayer.
346 million riders in #Dubai used mass transit means, shared transport and taxis in 2020 despite Covid-19 challenges, at a time that saw the implementation of precautionary measures to maintain the safety of passengers.https://t.co/d9yLp7C1Dt pic.twitter.com/bMBeluabqX
— Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) February 17, 2021
More from Local News
- COVID-19: 3,452 new cases in UAE from more than 185,000 tests
The UAE has confirmed 3,452 new cases of COVID-19 from 185,502 tests.
- COVID-19: UAE administers another 85,681 vaccine doses
More than 5.2 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE so far.
- Hope Probe enhances UAE’s soft power: Experts
The UAE’s Mars mission (Hope Probe) has enhanced the UAE’s soft power and its efforts to revive the knowledge hub status of the Islamic world as it used to be in the past, according to academic experts.
- Dubai shuts one outlet, fines 2 more for COVID-19 violations
Authorities in Dubai have pulled up 10 business establishments for flouting health and safety protocols that have been put in place to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Abu Dhabi enforces COVID-19 rules with 354 business facility closures
The Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (ADDED) has closed 354 business facilities as inspectors enforce directives and precautionary measures to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Rare striped dolphin species spotted off Fujairah’s coast
New aerial and marine conservation surveys along Fujairah’s coast have revealed the presence of the Striped Dolphin, a species only recorded twice before in the UAE.
- Over 40% of UAE population vaccinated against COVID-19
More than 40 per cent of people in the UAE have received the COVID-19 vaccine, including nearly half of the country’s elderly population.
- Refugee children join Emirati-Jordanian digital school pilot
A digital school for refugee children at the Emirati-Jordanian Mrajeeb Al Fhood Camp is being piloted ahead of September’s first intake of pupils.
- More fog warnings issued for Abu Dhabi’s roads
Abu Dhabi Police have issued new warnings as fog envelopes many areas again this morning.
- Dubai Municipality shuts 4 outlets for COVID-19 violations
Four establishments have been shut down by Dubai Municipality for violating COVID-19 precautionary measures.
- Dubai to establish specialised centre for juvenile delinquents
A specialised centre will be established in Dubai to rehabilitate juvenile delinquents and reintegrate them into society.
- Car catches fire in Dubai; no injuries reported
Emergency response teams were quick on the scene after a car caught fire on Dubai-Al Ain road on Tuesday evening.
- UAE administers another 111,890 doses of COVID-19 vaccine
As many as 111,890 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE in the past 24 hours.
- New shipment of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine arrives in Dubai
A new shipment of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has arrived in Dubai.
- H.H. Sheikh Mohammed congratulates China on Tianwen-1 reaching Mars
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai has congratulated China after its spacecraft entered the orbit around Mars.
- COVID-19: New restrictions, protocols in Umm Al Quwain
Tighter restrictions and additional precautionary measures have been announced in Umm Al Quwain as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.
- COVID-19: 3,236 new cases in UAE from more than 193,000 tests
The UAE has confirmed 3,236 new cases of COVID-19 from 193,163 tests.
- Tourism camp closed in Dubai for violating COVID-19 guidelines
A tourism camp has been shut down in Dubai for hosting a gathering that violated COVID-19 precautionary measures.
- UAE Ministry implementing development projects worth AED 11.8 billion
The UAE’s Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure is implementing development projects worth AED 11.8 billion.
- Doors close on 32 food Dubai food outlets for COVID-19 violations
Dubai Municipality has ordered the closure of 32 food establishments for violating COVID-19 safety rules, in addition to issuing warning notices to 472 outlets since the start of the year.