Abu Dhabi: The Integrated Transport Centre (ITC) in Abu Dhabi increased its fleet of taxis operating in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi by adding 1308 hybrid vehicles by the end of the third quarter of the current year, as an increase estimated by 35% in comparison to last year. ITC stated that 85% of the 6390 taxi vehicles in Abu Dhabi are eco-friendly vehicles. This step comes in part of ITC’s keenness to enhance the quality of life, preserve the environment, and reduce harmful emissions affecting humans and the environment. It also reiterated that the highest standards of safety and security are being adhered to in its determined and strenuous efforts in turning its entire fleet of vehicles into eco-friendly vehicles, which in turn would lead to the public’s satisfaction.
Mr. Mohammed Hamad Al Muhairi, Executive Director of the Public Transport Sector at ITC stated that with the cooperation with the eight taxi operating companies, ITC completed the installment of new meters (mobile data units) in all taxis. Messages will be sent to the taxi drivers using the new meters from the booking units to guide them to the areas with the most demand and notify them with information about the traffic. This service contributes to facilitate monitoring taxis.
Passengers’ Safety and Comfort
Al Muhairi affirmed that the taxi transport services are being developed to ensure its high quality, safety and security. ITC can learn about the condition of taxis through electronic inspections of performance control system. He also noted that achieving traffic safety for passengers using Abu Dhabi’s transport services is one ITC’s top strategic priorities. It strives to ensure a comprehensive and systematic approach to manage the traffic safety on public roads, in addition to helping operators determine the main requirements of managing traffic safety on roads and monitoring their performance to reduce road traffic accidents as well as human casualties.
In order to spread traffic awareness among taxi drivers, ITC organized awareness-raising campaigns in August and September presented in Arabic, English, and Urdu. The session were organized in coordination with the Traffic and Patrol Directorate in the presence of 1585 drivers.
According to ITC’s statistics, 68.31 million passengers through 37.95 million trips have used taxis since the beginning of the current year and till the end of the third quarter.
This reflects the increasing demand of taxis among the public, and the extent of efforts exerted by ITC to improve the quality of services with the coordination with the operating companies.
ITC pointed out that the current number of taxis is 6390 operated by eight companies like Abu Dhabi International Airport that operates 222 high-standard vehicles, which are comfortable and spacious. As well as Al Ghazal Taxi, Arabia Taxi, Cars Taxi, Emirates Taxi, Emirates Transport Taxi, National Taxi and Tawasul Transport, all of which are driven by professional drivers who have undergone training courses. In its efforts to enhance the quality of services and satisfaction, ITC added 182 family taxis to its fleet, as well as 21 vehicles specifically equipped to serve People of Determination and the elderly.
In its continuing efforts to enhance the status of ITC and make the transition into smart services, which have risen to 73% from the total number of bookings made. Taxi booking requests conducted through smart phone applications have reached 551,918 requests, in comparison to 204,683 requests made through the Contact Centre.
ITC also encouraged taxi users in Abu Dhabi to accept the receipt from the driver, which includes trip’s details that would facilitate addressing complaints of lost and found items, if any.
With regards to the lost and found items, ITC stated that 75% of complaints regarding a missing item were returned to its owners, while the remaining 25% of complaints are yet to be resolved since their owners have failed to follow-up with ITC, either on the grounds of item’s insignificance or since the items have been retrieved somewhere else and the complaint request was not closed.
It is worth to mention that the concept of transforming Abu Dhabi’s fleet of taxis into eco-friendly vehicles is within ITC’s priorities. ITC is currently developing and updating regulations with all concerned entities to organize the work of taxis under the highest standards of safety and security, which would elevate the level of service provided and in turn gain customers’ satisfaction, as well as maintain the environment and humans’ wellbeing.
– Ends –
© Press Release 2019