An unknown number of people died and up to 100 children are among those feared trapped after a four-storey building containing a primary school collapsed in Nigeria’s commercial capital Lagos.
Workers on top of the rubble shovelled debris away as thousands of people swarmed around the site to watch, many of them angry or hysterical, with police, ambulances, Red Cross workers, fire trucks and a fork lift in their midst.
Residents said around 100 children had attended the school, which was on the top levels of the building, and that eight had been rescued so far.
A Reuters reporter saw a boy of 10 being pulled from the rubble, covered in dust but with no visible injuries, and the crowd erupted into cheers as another child was pulled out.
Lagos Governor Akinwuni Ambode visited the site and offered commiserations to bereaved families, but did not say how many had died.
A spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency’s southwest region said casualty figures were not yet available but that many people including children were believed to be trapped.
The Lagos emergency management agency said 10 people had been recovered alive since emergency responders arrived on Wednesday, and others beforehand.
Ambode said the school had been set up illegally and that buildings in the area were undergoing integrity testing.
Australian Associated Press