Dubai saw its highest daily public transport ridership since the start of the pandemic, with more than 1.3 million passengers recorded on Thursday, September 9 across various means of transport.
That’s according to figures released by the emirate’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA).
Dubai Metro served 458,060 passengers, which included 311,090 passengers on its red line and 146,970 on its green line while 15,932 passengers used the tram.
Public buses saw 254,420 passengers while 21,502 used marine modes of transport and 66,590 passengers used E-Hailing and Car Sharing services. Thursday also saw a total of 516,409 taxi passengers.
His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, Director General and Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of the Roads and Transport Authority in Dubai, said the record number of public transport passengers reflects the community’s confidence in the precautionary measures and safety levels offered by all of the emirate’s public transport systems.
“RTA has implemented globally-benchmarked preventive protocols to protect the health and safety of passengers, as well as drivers and other frontline transport staff,” he said.
In March 2021, RTA, in collaboration with the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) and other authorities administered the COVID-19 vaccination to more than 20,000 eligible drivers of its entire fleet of taxis and public transport vehicles.
More from Local News
- Expired UAE visa holders can return home with new permit: NCEMA
Starting September 12, fully vaccinated UAE residents who have been staying in one of the 15 countries listed under restricted travel for over six months can return under a new entry permit.
- 744 new cases of COVID-19 in the UAE
The UAE confirmed 744 new cases of COVID-19 from 268,878 tests on Friday.
- UAE administers 90,610 COVID-19 vaccine doses
As many as 90,610 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE in the past 24 hours.
- Seventh UAE aid plane arrives in Afghanistan
The UAE has sent a seventh plane carrying food and medical aid to Afghanistan that will benefit over 300,000 people.
- Umm Al Quwain opens 232-bed COVID-19 field hospital
A new field hospital has opened in Umm Al Quwain to provide exclusive care for COVID-19 patients.
- H. H. Sheikh Mohammed meets health officials to ensure safe EXPO 2020 Dubai
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, reviewed the emirate’s pandemic response during a meeting.
- UAE flies food, clothes as aid to Afghanistan
The UAE sent a humanitarian aid aircraft loaded with food supplies to Afghanistan.
- UAE to resume flights to Saudi Arabia
UAE will restart flights to Saudi Arabia from Saturday, September 11.
- Exclusive: UAE Minister explains Fourth Industrial Revolution Network
The Minister of State for Advanced Technology explains what the Fourth Industrial Revolution Network aims to achieve for the UAE.
- UAE administers 89,830 COVID-19 vaccine doses
As many as 89,830 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in the UAE in the past 24 hours.
- Dubai Metro marks successful 12-year-long run
Dubai Metro marks its 12th birthday today.
- Abu Dhabi takes first spot for best COVID-19 response in the world
Abu Dhabi has ranked first for the best COVID-19 response in the world.
- 772 new cases of COVID-19 in the UAE
The UAE confirmed 772 new cases of COVID-19 from 286,017 tests on Thursday.
- UAE teacher and student among top 50 hopefuls for global awards
A UAE teacher and student have been shortlisted in the top 50 for the Varkey Foundation’s global awards in education.
- Expo 2020 Dubai introduces special passports for visitors
Those heading to Expo 2020 Dubai can now buy a special passport that will enable them to collect stamps as they explore over 200 pavilions for just AED 20.
- UAE aid to Afghanistan crosses AED 6 billion
The UAE has affirmed its support to the people of Afghanistan and has provided AED 6.2 billion in humanitarian aid to the country since August.
- Dubai welcomed over 2.8 million international visitors
Dubai has welcomed 2.85 million international overnight visitors between January and July this year.
- Dubai Police responds to 2.4 million emergency calls
Dubai Police have responded to more than 2.4 million emergency calls at a rate of 10 seconds per phone call during the first half of this year.
- H.H. Sheikha Latifa launches Dubai culture project on Google Arts & Culture
Her Highness Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairperson of Dubai Culture and Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), has launched ‘Dubai’s Culture & Heritage’ project on Google Arts & Culture.
- UAE sends 100,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Mauritania
The UAE has sent an aircraft carrying 100,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to Mauritania.